Tokyo, Aug. 20 (Jiji Press)–A total of 19 residents of Fukushima Prefecture plan to file a suit to demand that the Japanese government support victims of the 2011 nuclear accident under a law enacted last year, informed sources said Tuesday.
They had lived outside areas that were designated by the government as evacuation zones after the accident at the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear plant run by Tokyo Electric Power Co.’s .
In the suit to be filed with Tokyo District Court Thursday, they will accuse the government of failing to draw up detailed measures more than one year after the June 2012 enactment of the law designed to support victims of the nuclear accident.
They will ask the court to recognize the government’s inaction as illegal as well as their eligibility for support measures under the law, according to lawyer Kenji Fukuda. The residents will also demand one yen each in state compensation.
The suit will aim to ask the government to implement support measures, instead of seeking individual benefits, Fukuda said.