Tokyo, April 3 (Jiji Press)–Japan has failed in its goal of removing all disaster debris in the three hardest-hit prefectures to temporary storage sites by the end of March, Environment Minister Goshi Hosono said Tuesday.
Speaking at a press conference, Hosono said 97 pct of debris left in the northeastern prefectures of Iwate, Miyagi and Fukushima after the earthquake and tsunami in March last year was removed as of Monday.
The government had hoped to complete the removal by the end of March.
“We must take this seriously and catch up,” Hosono said.
Fukushima has seen only 70 pct of disaster waste removed due to an impact from the nuclear accident at a Tokyo Electric Power Co. <9501> plant in the prefecture